Connect with us

Africa

See How Ebola Virus Re-surface in Liberia

Published

on

Liberia has announced another case of Ebola after they had been declared free in July this year, another boy tested positive to the virus last week and died on Monday.
The boy named Nathan died in a hospital in Monrovia, Liberia capital, it was discovered that Nathan’s father and brother were also being treated for Ebola in the same hospital, and may be lucky to survive the virus.
Health Officials in Liberia have recognized over 140 people who might be at risk of being infected with the virus, including eight health care workers who are at high risk due to the fact that they came in close contact with the boy not knowing he had been infected with the virus.
According to Liberia’s Health Ministry spoke person Sarbor George he believes 10 health care worker are currently at high risk while “25 healthcare workers are being monitored.”
The World Health Organization WHO has declared Liberia free of the virus for two times, first on May 9 and again on Sept. 3. This might be owing to the fact that Liberia’s last Ebola death was in July.
The head of the WHO’s Ebola response team, Bruce Aylward, said it is not clear how the boy contracted Ebola. He said the child and his family had no known history of contact with a survivor or victim of the disease.
More than 11,300 people have died of the virus since the latest outbreak was announced in March 2014. Of the three countries hardest hit, Sierra Leone was declared Ebola-free on Nov. 7 and Guinea started its own countdown to zero on Nov. 16. Over 4,800 people died of Ebola in Liberia, according to WHO figures.




Copyright © 2019 AN24.net