By Philips Sunday
Benin, (AN24) – The Independent National Electoral Commission (INEC) on Monday, released the list of political parties and candidates that would participate in the forthcoming gubernatorial election in Edo state.
The list which was signed by INEC’s head of legal services, Mathew Ugwuocha, contained 19 political parties that would participate in the September 10 governorship lection.
The list contains the names of 19 male governorship candidates, 15 male running mates and four female running mates.
The governorship candidates with female running mates are:
- Thompson Osadolor (KOWA) with Florence Okundaye as his running mate.
- Adviser Nowamagbe (UPP) with Okosun Davis as his running mate.
- Ishaka Ofemile (AA) with Nancy Ewemade as his running mate.
- Ukonga Frank (NNPP) with female running mate Emodogo Eweha.
Others are: 5. Osagie Ize-Iyamu (PDP) with John Yakubu as running mate
- Godwin Obaseki (APC) with Philip Shaibu, a member of the House of Representatives, as running mate.
Ina related development; the electoral umpire rejected the candidate of the Ali Modu Sheriff-led faction of the Peoples Democratic Party.
It would be recalled that the PDP had presented two candidates for the upcoming Edo governorship election.
While the Ahmed Makarfi faction submitted Ize-Iyamu’s name, the sacked chairman of the party, Sheriff submitted Iduoriyekwemwen’s name, but INEC has failed to recognize Mr. Sheriff’s candidate, therefore paving way for Ize-Iyamuwho is the candidate of Makarfi’s faction