By Ganiyat Ganiyu
Angola, (An24) – Angolan President Jose Eduardo dos Santos on Friday, February 3, announced he will not run in August elections, signalling the end to 37 years in power and naming his defence minister as the candidate to succeed him.
The 74-year-old President has been the oil-rich country’s president since September 1979, making him Africa’s second-longest serving leader.
Dos Santos told a meeting of the ruling MPLA party in Luanda that “the party approved the name of the candidate heading the list in the August elections as (Defence Minister) Joao Manuel Goncalves Lourenco.”
Lourenco, a former general, emerged as the probable next president late last year at another meeting of the MPLA (People’s Movement for the Liberation of Angola).
Earlier in the year, Dos Santos had said he would step down in 2018.