Connect with us

News

Ekiti Govt, APC Bicker Over Alleged Inducement Of Registered Voters

Published

on

By

John Abiodun, Ado Ekiti 

As the Independent National Electoral Commission (INEC) began the Continuous Registration of Voters (CVR) on Thursday, the All Progressives Congress (APC) in Ekiti State and the state government bickered over alleged inducement of the people turning up for the exercise.

APC State Organising Secretary, Mr Kolade Amire, stated that there was rumour milling rounds that government was allegedly announcing financial inducement on state radio, describing this as an attempt to subvert the programme.

Amire, who spoke at the flag off of the CVR in Ado Ekiti by INEC, spoke against the backdrop of rumour that the state government had promised N2000 and laptop computers to youths who registered in the exercise.

The APC chieftain said: “This financial inducement is dangerous and it is a desperate attempt to subvert the process. We heard that they were saying youths should come and collect N2,000 after registration. We want INEC to rise to the occasion”.

But the Governor’s Chief Press Secretary, Mr Idowu Adelusi, who countered the allegation on telephone, clarified that the governor never promised laptop donations to the youths, saying the pledge he made was N2,000 monthly stipend to youths, but that possession of Boyer’s card was among conditions to qualify.

“The governor never said this in the media or through radio or television announcements. He discussed the issue in one of the State Executive Council meetings. What Mr Governor wanted to do is to look after their welfare and shore up the number of register voters in Ekiti, so that the electoral process can be improved upon.

“Governor Fayose is a man of the people. He won’t induce anybody and he never planned such”, the CPS said.

Also speaking at the event, the Chairman of Ado Ekiti Local Government, Hon. Ayodeji Ogunsakin, said the mobilization being done by the government should not be misconstrued to mean attempt to derail the electoral process.

He said: “Our dear Governor is a lover of peace and all he wanted is for all Ekiti indigenes to come out and get registered, so that the electoral process can be enhanced”.

INEC Administrative Secretary in Ekiti, Dr Muslim Moleke, while flagging off the exercise, said those that would be attended to in the ongoing process were those who had not registered in the past, those whose names were not on INEC register, those who wanted to correct errors in their biodata and those who want to transfer their voter’s cards from one place to the other.

“This exercise is not going to end in one, two three or four weeks, not  even in a year to come. It is going to be a continuous exercise, so no cause for worry”, he said.

Prospective registrants besieged the Ado Local Government INEC Office venue of the flagoff apparently because of the rumoured largesse with the belief that such will qualify them to get the benefit.

It would be recalled that the state government had on Wednesday declared today and tomorrow work-free days to enable workers participate in the exercise.

The governor, had earlier, said he would convoke youth summit, where all youths between the foregoing ages will be convened to discuss their issue, particularly how he could contribute to their education, employment and economic upliftment.

 

Facebook Comments

Copyright © 2021 AN24.net