The Inspector-General of Police Ibrahim Idris has summoned some leaders of the opposition Peoples Democratic Party (PDP) in Akwa Ibom state to Abuja over the violence which led to the destruction of some campaign materials of President Muhammadu Buhari’s reelection bid.
Africa News 24 reports that supporters of the All Progressives Congress (APC) and the PDP clashed in Uyo, Akwa Ibom state capital, earlier in the month.
APC Chairman in the state Ini Okpodio was said to have written a petition to the police over the issue, prompting the invitation by Idris.
Akwa Ibom PDP leaders summoned by IGP:
- Idongesit Nkanga (campaign coordinator of the reelection of Udom Emmanuel)
- Paul Ekpo (chairman of PDP in the state)
- Onofiok Luke (speaker of the state house of assembly)
- Iniobong Essien (commissioner for environment)
- Fubara Duke (senior special assistant to the governor on security).