Nigeria’s President, Muhammadu Buhari has suspended Walter Onnoghen as chief justice of Nigeria (CJN).
AN24 reports that the President has sworn in Ibrahim Tanko Mohammed, from Bauchi state, as the new CJN.
This online news platform understands that Mohammed is the next to Onnoghen in the order of seniority.
President Buhari said the suspension was based on the order of Code of Conduct Tribunal (CCT) on January 23, 2019.
AN24 reports that Mohammed was sworn in inside the council chamber of the presidential villa in Abuja, Nigeria’s capital.
It was learned that Onnoghen was planning to swear in members of the national assembly, governorship and state assembly election petition tribunals when the news of his removal broke.
Onnoghen had earlier debunked some reports that he resigned out of pressure.
“There is absolutely no truth in the rumours making the round that the Hon. Chief Justice of Nigeria, His Lordship Hon. Mr. Justice Walter Samuel Nkanu Onnoghen, GCON, has resigned his office. It is fake news! The Hon CJN was in the office all through yesterday (Thursday) and sat in court,” he had said in a statement which Awam Bassey, his spokesman, issued on his behalf.
“As part of his duties, the Hon CJN will be swearing in members of the 2019 national assembly, governorship and state assembly election petition tribunals tomorrow (Saturday 26th January 2019).”