The Federal Road Safety Corps on Friday, debunked reports which suggested that 18 people died in an accident along Benin-Ore Expressway involving two transport buses belonging to Peace Mass Transit and GUO Transport Company.
Spokesman for the FRSC, Mr, Bisi Kazeem said four lives were lost in the crash which occurred on Wednesday as opposed to the Thursday claim made by Peace Mass Transit in its press release.
He said, “Four lives were lost. The crash occurred on Wednesday not Thursday as Peace Mass Transit claimed in its press release.
“The other vehicle belongs to GUO Transport Company. The driver of GUO vehicle was the only victim in his vehicle while the remaining three were passengers in the PMT Vehicle.”
PMT had earlier explained in a statement on Friday, that the accident was caused by a head on collision.
The statement read in part, “It has been brought to our notice that one of our buses and another belonging to GUO transport were involved in an accident situation on the Lagos-Ore-Benin Express way.
“Accounts by official first responders at the scene had it that there were at least four fatalities and injuries to passengers in both vehicles. Further details are sketchy while we can confirm that injured persons are in the hospital receiving treatment.
“We are also establishing contact with relations of affected persons on our side, as appropriate. It was an unfortunate incident which we deeply regret. We enjoin social media posters to be mindful of the sensibilities of persons in this situation and their families and refrain from spreading salacious, untruthful accounts, unrelated to any reality.”
The company said it was cooperating with appropriate agencies of government in their investigation to establish the truth and avoid a recurrence.
“PMT remains committed to the safe and comfortable transit of her passengers especially during this Christmas season, adequate measures are in place to ensure that the highest standards are maintained,” the firm said.