Connect with us

News

Businessman Convicted For Money Laundering

Published

on

The Kano Zonal Office of  the Economic and Financial Crimes Commission,  has secured the conviction of one Abdullahi Sani before Justice Lewis Allagoa of the Federal High Court Kano, on a one-count charge of under declaration.

The charge read: “That you, Abdullahi Sani, on or about the 31st December, 2018 at Mallam Aminu Kano International Airport, Kano State within the judicial division of this honourable court (at the currency declaration desk), with passport No. 09PC66281 while travelling with the total sum of $207,000 USD to China and about to board Ethiopian Air with Flight No. ET940 failed to declare the sum of $121,000 USD to the Nigeria Customs Service, and thereby committed an offence contrary to Section 2(3) Money Laundering (Prohibition) Act 2011 (as amended) and punishable under section 2(5) of the same Law.”

Officers of the Nigeria Customs Service had arrested the convict at the Mallam Aminu Kano International Airport during a routine check, and upon a search on him, it was uncovered that he had a total sum of $207,000, but declared only $86,000 leaving the sum of $121,000 undeclared.

He was subsequently handed over to the EFCC for further investigations.

Upon arraignment by the EFCC on February 6, 2019, he pleaded “not guilty” to the charge.

In a dramatic manner, however, he changed his plea to “guilty” when the matter came up on December 16, 2019.

At the resumed hearing today, prosecuting counsel, Nasiru Salele, while reviewing the facts of the case, called a witness, Hassan Yahaya.

Delivering judgement, Justice Allagoa pronounced Sani guilty as charged and convicted him accordingly.

The trial judge further ordered him to forfeit 40 per cent of the undisclosed sum of money to the Federal Government of Nigeria. The remaining 60 per cent and the disclosed $86,000 were, however, ordered to be returned to him.

 

 

Facebook Comments

Copyright © 2019 AN24.net