Connect with us

News

Coronavirus: You Are Safe, NYSC DG Tells Corps Members

Published

on

NYSC Gives Fresh Update On Payment of 30,000 Allowance
NYSC

Ganiyat Ganiyu

Brig. Gen. Shuaibu Ibrahim, the Director General, National Youth Service Corps (NYSC), has assured corps members of their safety following the outbreak of coronavirus index in the country.

The DG disclosed this while commissioning the NYSC permanent orientation camp in Mbaukwu/Umuawulu, Awka North Local Government Area of Anambra State by Governor Willie Obiano on Thursday.

According to him, necessary measures have been put in place, including partnership with the Ministry of Health and other relevant bodies to ensure no negative reports were recorded across the camps.

He said, “So far so good, from the reports I’ve received nationwide, we’ve not had any problem. There’s no cause for alarm.

“Corps members are being educated and sensitized as all the necessary measures are being taken.

“Everyone is subjected to check from the entrance to the camp. I was also subjected to the same procedure. The Chief Judge who is going to administer the oath is also subjected. This is done across all the camps nationwide.

“We’re in serious partnership with the federal and state Ministry of Health; the medical personnel are all here to ensure safety precautions are followed. This synergy has been in existence from the inception of the scheme.”

Meanwhile, the director of the Muslim Rights Concern (MURIC), Professor Ishaq Akintola, on Wednesday, expressed doubts over the wisdom behind the resolve of NYSC to carry on with the orientation exercise in the face of worldwide outbreaks.

READ ALSO: Coronavirus: MURIC Calls For Postponement Of NYSC Orientation Exercise

MURIC disagrees, insisting that the exercise should be postponed by one or two months.

“Available records show that Corona Virus which originated in Wuhan, China, has killed more than 4,000 people and infected over 116,000 across the world. The US alone has reported 14 deaths and about 240 cases of infection. An exercise that attracts about 350,000 Nigerian graduates annually deserves more caution’’ the statement read.

“While we agree that the outbreak is not the fault of NYSC officials, we insist that the planning of the orientation camps should take into cognisance the reality on ground.

“To be on the safe side, the exercise should be postponed by one or two months. We are talking of 350,000 skilled Nigerians. These are our children. They are the hope of this country. We should not put their lives at risk.” he said
“Events are being postponed across the world. Saudi Arabia, a highly conservative country, saw wisdom in halting its annual Umrah (lesser pilgrimage).

Facebook Comments

Copyright © 2020 AN24.net