President Muhammadu Buhari on Tuesday approved the appointment of a former Minister of External Affairs, Prof. Ibrahim Gambari as his new Chief of Staff, CoS.
Gambari replaces Buhari’s former CoS, Mallam Abba Kyari who passed away from the coronavirus disease in April.
Professor Gambari is a seasoned scholar and a Diplomat per excellence with an illustrious career, spanning over the academia, government and international diplomacy.
Here are few things to know about him.
- He was the first Under-Secretary General of the United Nations.
- He was former Nigeria’s Minister of External Affairs between 1984 and 1985.
- He was the President of the Executive Board of UNICEF in 1999.
- He is from Kwara State.
- On March 4, 2013, Ibrahim Gambari was named by the Kwara State Governor, AbdulFatah Ahmad, as the pioneer chancellor of the Kwara State University, KWASU, making him the ceremonial head of the university who presides over convocations to award degrees and diplomas and also supports the vision and mission of the university in all respects, including fundraising, social, economic and academic goals.
- He is currently the Founder/Chairman of the Savannah Centre.
- He was the former Head of the UN Mission in Angola and Nigeria’s Permanent Representative to the United Nations in New York.
- Gambari attended King’s College, Lagos. He subsequently attended the London School of Economics where he obtained his B.Sc. (Economics) degree(1968) with specialization in International Relations.
- He later obtained his M.A. (1970) and Ph. D. (1974) degrees Columbia University, New York, USA in Political Science /International Relations.
- He taught at Ahmadu Bello University, Zaria, Kaduna State.