Connect with us

News

Arson: Sanwo-Olu Visits TVC

Published

on

Tobi Adebayo 

The Governor of Lagos, Babajide Sanwo-Olu on Thursday paid a condolence visit to the staff and management of Television Continental over an arson attack on its facilities by hoodlums.

According to a statement signed by his Chief Press Secretary, Gboyega Akosile, the Governor alongside his deputy, Obafemi Hamzat were taken around the premises to see the extent of damage done by the hoodlums on October 21st, 2020.

The statement read; “TVC’s Chief Executive Officer, Mr. Andrew Hanlon, led top management staff of the media organisation to receive Sanwo-Olu and his team, among which included the Deputy Governor, Dr. Obafemi Hamzat, Deputy Chief of Staff, Mr. Gboyega Soyannwo, and Commissioner for Information and Strategy, Mr. Gbenga Omotoso.

“Hanlon took the Governor round the main auditorium, which was the hub of the TV station’s operation. It was completely razed.

“The auditorium housed three main studios, three control rooms, three master control rooms and central transmission laboratory said to have been equipped with the modern communication gadgets worth millions of dollars.

“All left in the building were charred materials.

“The TV station boss told Sanwo-Olu that more than 250 production staff working in the razed building had been out of work since the incident happened. He added that over 500 direct employees of the station had been struggling to work in temporary accommodation put up by the company.

“Hanlon said: “After the rioters invaded our premises and set the place on fire, some buildings in the premises survived. But the main transmission building is completely destroyed and it was the hub of our operations. The rioters cast fear and terror in the hearts of our employees when they broke in last week’s Wednesday morning.

“People’s hard work and huge investment that went down into the TV station were destroyed in a period of about an hour. The incident was really traumatising for all of us. The rioters left immense devastation. The entire interior of the building was destroyed. This is all that is left of our bubbling building, which was a centrepiece. Thankfully, no member of staff died in the incident.”

READ ALSO: Sanwo-Olu Did Not Ban Officials From Arresting Defaulting Motorists — LASTMA

“Hanlon said the immediate priority before the management of the TV station was to ensure that all direct employees were looked after, stressing that the means of livelihood of thousands of indirect workers attached to the brand had been threatened.

“He said efforts were being taken to return TVC back to its full operations, promising that the station would bounce back stronger than it was.

“The Governor was also shown a wreck of burnt vehicles belonging to the station and employees.”

Facebook Comments

Copyright © 2020 AN24.net