Connect with us

Education

Insecurity: Oyo To Engage Man O’ War To Secure Schools

Published

on

By

Oyo state Governorship and National Assembly Election Petition Tribunal will on today, Monday deliver judgement on the petition filed by the All Progressives Congress (APC) and its governorship candidate, Chief Adebayo Adelabu, challenging the victory of Governor Seyi Makinde in the March 9 election.
Governor Seyi Makinde

Governor Seyi Makinde of Oyo says his administration has concluded arrangements to engage the Man O’ War Nigeria to provide security and surveillance in primary and secondary schools in the state.

The governor made this known on Thursday in Ibadan when he received the National Executives of the Man O’ War Nigeria who paid him a courtesy visit in his office.

He decried the recent trend of kidnapping of students, among other security challenges, which he described as worrisome.

He urged the organisation to double its efforts at the grassroots in order to contribute its quota to stem the tide of insecurity in the country.

“Man O’ War, as an organisation, is trying its best.

“I can testify to the role Man O’ War played during the elections that I participated in as governorship candidate in 2015 and 2019; so, I will renew my commitment in Man O’War.

READ ALSO: UNILAG Announces Dates, Ceremonies For 51st Convocation

“This is a period that Man O’ War will need to double its efforts and look at programmes at the grassroots level, where we can project more on the issue of citizenship and leadership for our country.’’

After establishing a regional security network codenamed Amotekun, several south-west states have gone further to take additional security measures to stem the rising insecurity in the region. Osun State, for instance, had decided to construct perimeter fences around all public primary and secondary schools in the state.

Governor Makinde said there had been discussions with the state’s Commissioner for Education on how to beef up security.

“Some of the schools are not properly fenced.

“The ministry recently submitted a proposal on fencing and having demarcations for all of the schools, but this idea of deployment of Man O’ War for security and surveillance is a welcome idea.

“We will look at the proposal and we should be engaging either the national or state command team to ensure that this can see the light of day.

“I think it is something that we will do,’’ Mr Makinde said.

He further assured the Man O’ War that he would resume his sponsorship of the organisation in his personal capacity.

READ ALSO: Zulu Regent, Queen Mantfombi Dlamini Dies

The governor used the occasion to announce the donation of two utility vehicles to the Man O’War Oyo State Command and one to the National Command of the organisation.

Earlier, the Deputy National Commandant of Man O’ War, Gbenga Adedamola, called for the re-awakening of the culture of joining voluntary organisations like the Man O’ War among Nigerian youths.

According to him, this will build the spirit of patriotism.

He requested assistance from the governor to make the organisation function better.

Mr Adedamola stressed that the passion and commitment of the governor for youth development remained commendable.

Credit: NAN

Facebook Comments

Copyright © 2021 AN24.net