The registrar of the Joint Admissions and Matriculations Board, JAMB, Professor Is’aq Oloyede, on Friday said that 600,000 candidates have made failed attempts to register for this year’s Unified Tertiary Matriculation Examination, UTME, over issues with the mandatory National Identification Number, NIN.
Oloyede during a zoom meeting said that the board would decide if there is a need to extend the registration period and change the date of the examination.
The UTME had been slated to hold between June 5 and 19.
Oloyede, however, stated that the Mock examination would begin on May 20 as stipulated earlier.
READ ALSO: Why I Faked Being A Star – Peruzzi
He said, “Presently, we have 1.2million candidates that have registered but we expect 1.9million. 600,000 candidates had made attempt to register but because of NIN they could not. We want to do an appraisal of all the issues to know if we are extending registration or not.
“Extending registration may not be the solution if we found out that we can give 80 per cent of those who have made attempt another password, then there will be no need to extend registration.
“We have to determine where the problem is coming before we can say we are extending. After today, we will address the press tomorrow on the outcome of the meeting on the main examination date and registration. We want to assess what is happening.”