Connect with us

News

Flood: FCTA Commences Demolition Of Over 100 Houses

Published

on

The Federal Capital Territory Administration has commenced the demolition of illegal houses constructed in Bwari Area Council.

Over 100 houses in a populated area on waterways at Dutse Makaranta would be demolished.

The Senior Special Assistant to FCT Minister on Monitoring, Inspection and Enforcement, Ikharo Attah, who headed the demolition team stated that residents failed to honour legal warnings of possible flooding in the area.

He continued that the demolition is in the interest of residents as no responsible governement would allows its citizens remain in a danger zone.

Attah noted that the recent flooding that occurred in the community is a major factor why the commission must evacuate everybody from the site.

He thanked God for sparing the lives of residents during the flooding adding that it would have exposed the government to careless social media backlash.

Attah explained that the owners and occupiers of the buildings on the waterways had been warned and asked to leave the area from the onset but refused to comply, hence the forceful ejection.

He said he was particularly bitter that some of the doomed buildings were private schools, and churches, where innocent children, wards, and worshipers would have been swept away, had the flooding occurred on working days or even during religious feasts.

“We are commencing a citywide operation against buildings sitting on water plains and riverbeds, here in Dutse Makaranta.

READ ALSO: Unremitted Deductions: Mapoly Lecturers Issue 14 Days Ultimatum To Abiodun

“You could see heavy flooding, we thank God the rain fell on Sunday afternoon at about 1 pm and 2 pm when many had left the church and school was closed.

“The water got to the window levels and members fled. The casualties here would have been extremely massive.

“Most persons in this area were out, only two men were on their beds when the water came through the walls to one of the buildings and it fell on the bed of one man and the man fled his house and packed everything quickly.

“We hope that this will send a strong message to all those who have been on water plains and corridors.”

Attah said that the FCTA had marked the buildings from foundation level and they had been warned to leave the area “because it is a disaster zone’’.

Reacting, a resident of the community, Ibrahim Shaibu, confirmed that those affected by the demolition actually were aware that the area was prone to flooding, but ignored all warnings.

Shaibu, who claimed he had lived in the community for about 20 years, acknowledged that the flooding that occurred four days ago was unprecedented, but thanked God that no life was lost.

He claimed that the indigenous people should be blamed for whatever destruction the flooding had caused as they had continued to resell the place after each demolition exercise.

Facebook Comments

Copyright © 2021 AN24.net