Connect with us

Sports

“Why We Will Stop Signing African Players” – Napoli Owner

Published

on

Napoli owner Aurelio De Laurentiis on Tuesday has said he would not sign any African players again unless they agree to not take part in the Africa Cup of Nations.

Senegal defender Kalidou Koulibaly now at Premier League side Chelsea and Cameroon midfielder Andre Zambo Anguissa missed several Napoli games while on international duty at this year’s AFCON, which took place between January and February.

Via an Interview with Wall Street Italia talk show he said:
“Or they sign a waiver giving up their right to participate to the Africa Cup of Nations tournaments or between AFCON and the championships in South America … I never have them [Napoli players] available.”

READ ALSO: Army Honours Four Soldiers With Motorcycles

He also criticised the fact that clubs were agreeing to more and more games, suggesting a European tournament with the top clubs from the strongest five countries instead of the Champions League, Europa League and Europa Conference League.

“The world of football cannot self-manage because we do the puppet show for others … if we could play 100 games, it would be a happy ending for everyone and we [clubs] like cretins agree to that.”

The Italian film producer also said he did not support the breakaway European Super League which folded less than 48 hours after it was announced last year as it was an elite club.

“You cannot create a super club of privileged members who invite others [to the league]. You need to democratically keep the door open for everyone,” he said.

 

Facebook Comments

Copyright © 2021 AN24.net