It is no longer news that Senator Abdullahi Adamu resigned as the National Chairman of the ruling All Progressives Congress (APC).
Adamu, who has not been on the same page with President Bola Tinubu, sent his resignation letter to the Presidential Villa, Abuja, last night, AN24 can confirm.
The former APC chairman emerged at the party’s national convention held in March 2022 and has since then worked towards installing former Senate President, Ahmed Lawan, as the successor of former President Muhammadu Buhari.
Adamu’s resignation did not come as a surprise to APC stalwarts, who, according to a source, had expected the former senator to step down from his position since Tinubu’s inauguration.
Here are the six sins of the Adamu:
- Working against Tinubu during APC presidential primary: Adamu didn’t hide his opposition to the emergence of Tinubu as the APC presidential candidate during last year’s national convention of the ruling party. Adamu unanimously endorsed former Senate President, Ahmad Lawan, and presented him to the party as the consensus candidate. But the endorsement was rejected by then President Muhammadu Buhari, APC governors and the party’s National Working Committee. The action taken by Adamu pitched him against APC governors, especially the Northern governors who ganged up against him to endorse a Southern presidency. Tinubu later emerged as APC presidential flagbearer for February 28, 2023.
- Lack of support for Tinubu during the campaign: With his position as the National Chairman of the APC, Adamu is expected to lead the presidential campaign of his party for Tinubu to be victorious during the February 28 election but some schools of thought believed that Adamu failed to fully back Tinubu even after securing the party’s ticket. Some people believe that some of the attempts made by the Adamu-led National Working Committee (NWC) of APC on the membership Presidential Campaign Council first released by Tinubu was to allegedly cause division within the ruling party and if the issue had not been handled very well by Tinubu, it would have affected the victory of Tinubu in the last presidential poll.
- Religious balance: It was also believed that another issue that contributed to Adamu’s resignation is the need for religious balancing in the ruling party. Some people are of the view that the top positions in the party should not be an exclusive right of Muslims. Since President Bola Tinubu and his Vice, Kashim Shettima were both Muslims, some party stakeholders were of the view that Adamu should resign for a Christian from the North to be the APC National Chairman.
READ ALSO: JUST IN: Enugu Lawmaker Shot Dead
- Opposition to National Assembly principal officers: Another reason responsible for Adamu’s resignation is his perceived opposition to President Tinubu on the appointment of the Principal Officers of the 10th National Assembly. It would be recalled that Adamu distanced himself from the principal officers announced by the Senate President, Godswill Akpabio, and the Speaker of the House of Representatives, Rt. Hon. Tajudeen Abass. Adamu’s reaction was seen by many people within the party, especially close associates of the President as as a direct affront to President Bola Tinubu, who is the leader of the party, considering the fact that the list of the Principal Officers has the blessing of the President.
- Alleged misappropriation of party funds: It was also gathered that another issue that led to Adamu’s resignation was the alleged misappropriation of the party’s funds. It would be recalled that Adamu and APC National Secretary, Senator Iyiola Omisore have been constantly accused of misappropriating the party’s finances, especially, funds realised by the ruling party from the sale of forms for the 2023 general elections. It is of public knowledge that on many occasions, APC National Vice Chairman (North-West), Dr. Salihu Lukman had accused Adamu and Omisore of the sales of forms for the 2023 elections. He claimed that they were guilty of “reckless financial management of party funds”. This without any iota of doubt is one of the reasons why Adamu honourably bow out of office to avoid humiliation and barring any last minutes change, Senator Omisore may also toe the line of Adamu by tendering his resignation.
- Gang-up to disgrace Adamu during National Caucus and NEC meetings: AN24 gathered from multiple sources that the APC National Chairman resigned to avoid being disgraced out of office following an alleged gang-up by people around President Tinubu to embarrass him during the APC’s National Caucus and National Executive Committee (NEC) meetings for tomorrow (Tuesday) and Wednesday. It was gathered that some people have started to collate signatures to impeach him during the forthcoming meetings, therefore Adamu resigned unceremoniously to save himself from humiliation.”