Leading Ladies Africa, Union Bank Empower 40 Women

Leading Ladies Africa, in collaboration with Union Bank Plc has empowered 40 female-owned enterprises as part of efforts to support businesses and economic activities.

Africa News24 (an24) understands the empowerment scheme themed, “Enterprise and Leadership Programme,” was initiated to provide start-ups from the various sectors of the economy with the support needed to develop and sustain their enterprises.

This online news platform gathered that the initiative being put together by women-focused non-profit organisation.

Leading Ladies Africa, is a two-month, practical, hands-on program aimed at enabling women entrepreneurs in Nigeria to identify business opportunities, create and sustain viable enterprises, and scale up their businesses.

 

Buhari Joins Other Presidents To Attend ECOWAS Security Summit In Burkina Faso

President Muhammadu Buhari is set to leave the country on Saturday in order to attend a one-day ECOWAS Heads of State and Government Extraordinary Summit on Counter-Terrorism, in Ouagadougou, Burkina Faso.

With the increasing level of threat in the sub-region, West African leaders are meeting to review the initiatives they have taken so far.

The decision to convene the Summit was reached at the 55th Ordinary Session of the ECOWAS Authority of Heads of State and Government in Abuja on June 29, 2019.

The Special Adviser to the President, Femi Adesina in a statement on Friday said “President Buhari recognizes the imperative of collective actions in the fight against terrorism, and will continue to partner with ECOWAS member states and international organizations to address the menace.

“In Ouagadougou, ECOWAS leaders are expected to adopt a priority action plan on counter-terrorism and put in place a mechanism to monitor the implementation of the measures adopted towards ensuring lasting peace in the sub-region.

“President Buhari will be accompanied by Governors Abubakar Bello, Dapo Abiodun and Okezie Ikpeazu of Abia, Ogun and Niger States respectively; as well as the Minister of Foreign Affairs, Geoffrey Onyeama, and the Minister of Defence, Major-General Bashir Magashi (retd).

“Also on the President’s entourage are the National Security Adviser, Maj-General Babagana Monguno (retd) and Director-General, National Intelligence Agency (NIA), Amb. Ahmed Rufai Abubakar.

“The President is expected back in Abuja at the end of the Summit. “

Female Banker Suspended For Allegedly Sleeping With Over 200 Men

A trending news we have sighted on the internet reveals an interesting story of a Zambian woman who allegedly had sex with over 200 men, both clients and job seekers.

The viral story, put together by Zambian Observer, says the woman identified as Mutale Winfridah, has been using her influence as a branch senior bank executive to sleep with different men promising them jobs at the bank and approving their bank loan applications in return to enjoying their bed energies.

Africa News24 (an24) gathered that the bank management decided to suspend her after more than 10 men formally lodged complaints against her.

This online news platform understands Mutale is 39 years old and still unmarried because of her quest to attain different academic qualifications before finding a partner.

Communications Minister, Pantami, Orders NCC To Block 9m Unregistered SIM Cards

Nigeria’s Minister of Communication, Dr Ibrahim Pantami has directed the Nigerian Communications Commission (NCC) to block 9.2million improperly registered subscriber identity module (SIM) cards in use across the networks in the country.

Africa News24 (an24) learnt Dr Pantami gave the directives through a statement by the Federal Ministry of Communication.

According to the details in the statement, “As at today, preliminary investigation revealed that we have over nine million unregistered SIM cards in Nigeria. “I have directed the NCC to immediately block those numbers until the users present themselves.”

Meanwhile, the Nigerian Communications Commission had in June 2019 called on telecom consumers to heed its warning and stop patronising sellers of SIM cards that have been pre-registered because anyone found using (or selling or otherwise transacting with) such will be fined and jailed upon conviction.

We Won’t Cause More Hardship Buhari Tell Nigerians As 5% VAT Increased to 7.2%

President Muhammadu Buhari on Thursday in Abuja assured Nigerians that the Federal Government will not inflict additional hardship on citizens.

He said it will rather keep seeking ways to ameliorate their sufferings and create a more enabling environment for everyone to thrive.

The President spoke while receiving the new executive of Trade Union Congress (TUC) led by its President, Comrade Quadri Olaleye, at the State House, Abuja.

The President, in a statement by the Senior Special Assistant on Media and publicity, Mallam Garba Shehu, said “On fuel prices, I agree with you on the need to eliminate corruption and inefficiencies in the sector. I want to assure you that, as an Administration, we have no intention of inflicting any additional hardship on Nigerians,’’ The Federal Government, he said, remained committed to the implementation of the national minimum wage.

According to him, the inaugural Federal Executive Council meeting on Wednesday focused on the Medium-Term Expenditure Framework, which included discussions around the new minimum wage.

“During our first term, we secured the nation’s territorial integrity and continue to protect the lives and properties of our citizens. We introduced various economic stimulus packages that support businesses and traders at all levels, promoted backward integration programmes especially in the agricultural sector to enhance our food security while creating jobs.

“We embarked on the most ambitious infrastructure development and rehabilitation projects this country has seen in decades. We also introduced the largest Social Investment Program in Sub-Saharan Africa.

“Although these programs and many more successfully lifted Nigeria out of recession, the full impact is yet to be felt. In the next four years, we shall sustain this momentum and by the grace of God, lift millions of Nigerians out of poverty,’’ he said.

President Buhari, who noted that his administration will work hard to improve the livelihood of citizens, said most of the inherited challenges were avoidable, if some previous governments had been keener on investing on infrastructure and human capacity.

“The points you raised are all interconnected. The lack of power and infrastructure due to decades of under-investment led to the closure or inefficient operations of a number of factories across the country. This meant the private sector was unable to create jobs fast enough to cope with our increasing population.

“You will agree with me that, all these challenges and many more were long ago left unattended to, thereby leaving the country in the mired state we inherited. You all will also testify to having seen and experienced what we have put in place as an administration to address these challenges,’’ the President added.

In his remarks, the President of TUC advised the Federal Government to pay more attention to the welfare of Nigerians by avoiding increase of fuel price and ensuring implementation of the National Minimum Wage, which had been delayed by negotiations on the consequential adjustments.

“We are, however, disturbed that the enthusiasm is turning into a nightmare,’’ he said, urging the President to focus on poverty reduction and improving security.

Olaleye assured the President that TUC will support the government as it tackles challenges facing the country.

He commended the President for increase in Internally Generated Revenue, steps taken on the xenophobic attacks on Nigerians and signing of the African Continental Free Trade Agreement.

Reacting, Mr Joseph Okirigbaga, said You just did by increasing VAT from 5% to 7.2%, do you know what that alone will do to commodities?

Zimbabwe’s Mugabe To Be Buried In His Village Early Next Week

Robert Mugabe, the former President of Zimbabwe and the longest serving African president will be buried early next week in his village and not at a national monument for liberation heroes.

The development was revealed by the family of the former president of Zimbabwe, as there had been disagreement between the family of the deceased and the president of the country over where to lay his body to rest.

Africa News24 (an24) had earlier reported that Mugabe died in Singapore last week at 95 after an illness.

The family of Mugabe argued with the government whether he would be buried in his homestead in Kutama, northwest of Harare, or at the National Heroes Acre in the capital.

“His body will lie in state at Kutama on Sunday night.., followed by a private burial — either Monday or Tuesday — no National Heroes Acre. That’s the decision of the whole family,” his nephew Leo Mugabe told AFP.

PEPT: Temitope Adewale Congratulates President Buhari

The Lagos State House of Assembly member representing Ifako-Ijaiye constituency 01, Temitope Adewale Adedeji (JAH) has congratulated President Buhari for emerging victorious at the Presidential Election Petition Tribunal (PEPT).

In a press release signed by his Media Aide, Adewale also commended the PEPT for standing for the truth despite the pressures from all sides to subvert justice.

“While congratulating president Buhari for his deserved victory at the tribunal, we should also commend the Justice Mohammed Garba led five-man panel for the courage to do the needful.

“The PEPT has once again affirmed that Nigerians made the right choice by voting massively for president Buhari during the 2019 elections.”

He urged the Peoples Democratic Party, PDP, to support the Next Level agenda of president Buhari so as to deliver the dividends of democracy to Nigerians.

Sanwo-Olu Congratulates Buhari On Victory At Petition Tribunal

Lagos State Governor, Mr. Babajide Sanwo-Olu has congratulated President Muhammadu Buhari on his victory at the Presidential Election Appeal Tribunal.

READ ALSO: Tribunal: Buhari Defeats Atiku For Second Time

In a statement signed by his Chief Press Secretary, Mr. Gboyega Akosile, Governor Sanwo-Olu described the victory as a final lap of a relay race where the real victor is evidently seen at the finishing line.

Sanwo-Olu said ”although millions of Nigerians were not in doubt as regards the mandate freely given to President Buhari to steer the ship of the country for another term of four years, the opposition politicians were also not wrong to have approached the court to seek redress, noting that they were free to test the country’s judicial system.

”With this pronouncement, it is clear to everyone that contrary to misinformation being spread against our party during the electioneering by the opposition, the All Progressives Congress under President Muhammadu Buhari performed to the satisfaction of Nigerians in his first term in office.”

Governor Sanwo-Olu therefore enjoined Nigerians across party divide to team up with the president to deliver the real dividends of democracy to the people.

He said the next level campaign of the president is not only exciting but also a clear indication of the new frontier the country will reach in the next four years and beyond.

”I therefore congratulate the President and Commander-in-Chief of the Armed Forces of the Federal Republic of Nigeria, the leadership and members of our great party, the All Progressives Congress and all Nigerians at home and in the diaspora on this very landmark judicial victory,” Sanwo-Olu said.

Tribunal: Buhari Defeats Atiku For Second Time

The Presidential Election Petition Tribunal (PEPT) on Wednesday dismissed the petition of the Peoples Democratic Party and its presidential candidate, Alhaji Atiku Abubakar against Muhammadu Buhari.

The Tribunal, in the lead judgment delivered by Justice Garba Mohammed held that the evidence given by the 62 witnesses called by the PDP and Atiku  did not have any impact in helping the petitioners’ case, adding that the petitioners could not prove that Buhari was not duly elected.

He further added that Atiku and the PDP have no evidence of non-compliance to the electoral act by the Independent National Electoral Commission, INEC.

Justice Mohammed also held that the only way to prove cases of over-voting, electoral manipulation, among others was to tender the voters’ register, which the petitioner could not provide and that all the witnesses called by the petitioners failed to establish cases of over-voting.

He said failure by the petitioners to prove their case against Buhari and the All Progressives Congress in all grounds has led to the dismissal of the petition filed in its entirely.

Recall the tribunal ruled that Buhari possessed the West African School Certificate Examination, WASCE, which further qualified him to contest the 2019 election.

The court said apart from being qualified, the president also obtained other certificates to validate claims that he is eminently qualified for the presidential poll.

Mohammed, therefore struck out the claims by the PDP and Atiku that Buhari did not possess the needed qualification for the election and that he presented false information to INEC.

In view of overwhelming evidence, the Tribunal chairman struck out PDP’s claims that Buhari did not possess certificate to contest the election and that he presented false information to INEC.

“Where the provision of the law is straight forward, the Court cannot give it an interpretation which it does not suggest,” the court said. “In my view, the provisions of the Electoral Act are clearly inapplicable to the issues in contention.”

The court said the law does not require that a person must attach his certificate before he can be qualified to contest an election.

The court said PDP’s contention is “misconceived as submission of the certificate is not a requirement for the election. The court said Buhari’s military certificate is higher than the school cert.

The Army, the tribunal chairman said, had dismissed the claims made by the petitioners regarding Buhari’s certificate and that the PDP failed to further prove its claims.

The court held that the evidence tendered by the PDP regarding Buhari’s qualifications were not to be relied upon since the PDP was not the original makers of the documents.

Also, the court dismissed claims by the PDP and Atiku that the results of the 2019 general election were transmitted to server belonging to the Independent National Electoral Commission, INEC.

 

Atiku Vs Buhari: Tribunal Rules Against PDP, Atiku

…..Tribunal Dismisses Atiku’s INEC Server Results 

The Presidential Election Petition Tribunal (PEPT) has said that there is no evidence that INEC electronically transmitted the results of the last presidential election to any server.

In the judgement read on Wednesday, the court stated that the petitioners – Atiku Abubakar and the Peoples Democratic Party (PDP) – failed to convince the court that INEC had a server and that it transmitted results electronically.

The Presidential election petitions tribunal also held that there was no law that permits the transmission of results electronically or the transmission of result using card readers.

Justice Mohammed Garba said: “I have carefully examined and examined Exhibit 28 (INEC Manual for Election) tendered by the petitioners, I did not see where there is provision for electronic transmission of the result of election.”

Africa News24 (an24) recalls PDP and its presidential candidate, Atiku Abubakar, had challenged the results of the 2019 election won by President Muhammadu Buhari.

One of the grounds for challenging the result was that a separate result on an INEC ‘server’ showed that Mr Abubakar won the election.

INEC had denied having such a server.

El-Rufai To Power Minister: Deliver Kaduna 10MW Project A Priority

The Kaduna State Governor Mallam Nasir Ahmad El-Rufai has tasked the Minister of Power Engr. Sale Mamman to deliver the proposed 10MW power project in Kaduna state, saying the state is ready to maximize its gains.
El-Rufai said this on Tuesday when he paid a congratulatory visit to the Minister in Abuja.
He explained that Kaduna State was more interested in the proposed Dam because it would provide adequate water supply to some major towns for consumption and irrigation.
The Governor stressed that the proposed Ten Mega Watts dam a priority because Kaduna State was already prepared to capitalized on its other benefits.
The Governor jocularly told the Minister that he was going round to rejoice with foundation members of the party who have now been fully compensated for their struggles to established a new political order for the Country.
Governor El-Rufai, recalled that the Minister and himself had been in the same party even before the merger that produced the APC, pointing that he was relieved that most of his comrades have now been rewarded.

In his response, The Minister Engr. Sale Mamman gave his own assurance that the project would be vigorously pursued, saying his mandate his to deliver all major power projects across the country.
He thanked Governor El-Rufai for the visit, Saying that he would partner with Kaduna State in every area of development to ensure the full realization of President Muhammadu Buhari’s next level agenda.

Atiku Vs Buhari: Full List Of Judges To Deliver Final Judgment Today

No fewer than five judges from the Court of Appeal will deliver the final judgment on the 2019 Presidential election today, Wednesday, September 11.

Africa News24 reports that the five-man panel of judges of the 2019 Presidential Election Petitions Tribunal is headed by Justice M. L Garba.

Atiku Abubakar is challenging President Muhammadu Buhari‘s election.

Recalls that the Independent National Electoral Commission (INEC) declared President Buhari, a candidate of the All Progressives Congress (APC)as the winner of the February 23 Presidential election.

INEC had said figures from the 36 states and Federal Capital Territory (FCT) gave Buhari 15,191,847 votes, while Atiku came second with 11,262,978 votes.

However, Atiku challenged the results, saying that the results from the INEC server showed he polled 18,356,732 votes to defeat Buhari who had 16,741,430 votes.

On Tuesday, the Presidential election tribunal set today, Wednesday, September 11 to deliver the final judgment.

Here is the complete list of judges to deliver the final judgment…

Justice Mohammed Garba (Head of the panel)
Justice Abdul Aboki (Abuja Division of the Court of Appeal)
Justice Joseph Ikyegh (Benin Division of the Court of Appeal)
Justice Samuel Oseji (Lagos Division of the Court of Appeal)
Justice Peter Ige (Abuja Division of the Court of Appeal).